Everyone knows that a clean and tidy work environment leads to greater efficiency. A good clear out can also be very therapeutic. So how do we go about ensuring that our offices are kept neat and tidy and ready for action? In my experience there are a number of ways in which you can maintain a tidy office all year round.
- De-clutter Get rid of any unwanted mess. Discarded paper cups, scraps of paper, spent ink cartridges and anything else you don’t need should all be disposed of in the appropriate manner. Have easy access to a waste bin, recycling bin and shredder and use them immediately when you have finished with a document. This applies to your whole office and not just your desk. Be ruthless. If it’s not positively contributing to your office environment dispose of it.
- Be organised We have all heard the phrase ‘A place for everything and everything in its place’. If everything in your office has a home and is put back once it is finished with then this will reduce the potential for mess. Use an in-tray, do not just pile different pieces of paper on top of one another. Consider investing in a desk tidy, particularly for pens, staplers and other knick-knacks that can take up valuable space on your desk.
- Wash up regularly. Do not let dirty cups, plates etc. pile up. Not only do they look unsightly but they can represent a health hazard. If your office receives regular visitors this will not create a good impression and any offers of tea or coffee could well be refused. If possible avoid eating at your desk. Not only will this keep the area clean but you will benefit from leaving your work station for at least a small period of the day.
- Use technology Consider whether it is necessary to print that e-mail or that report. Store files digitally if you can. Do you have paper archives that could be stored digitally? This will free up more storage space that could be put to better use. Alternatively, if you do need to retain certain paperwork, consider storing it in an archiving facility.
- Clean up at the end of each day If you spend 5 minutes at the end of each working day clearing your workspace you will be surprised how much you can achieve and how good it will make you feel. It will also improve your efficiency as you can come in the next day ready to start work immediately.
5 Tips For Keeping Your Office Tidy
It doesn’t take long for a clean, tidy and presentable office to become an unpleasant working environment. By implementing the above suggestions, you can make a big difference and improve your way of working with very little effort.
Corby, Brackley, Daventry, Irlingborough, Kettering, Northampton, Rushden, Towcester, Wellingborough
Tel: 01604 791799 Email: email@example.com